But increasingly, his flock of Minnesota Catholics isn’t following
“The greatest threats to marriage are the economy, joblessness, alcoholism, drug abuse — there are a lot of threats to marriage, but it has very little to do with homosexuals having a committed relationship,” says (Father Mike) Tegeder, who’s also a pastor at the Church of Gichitwaa Kateri. “I know committed same-sex people who are doing God’s work.”
Tegeder knows what the Bible dictates on homosexuality — along with what it dictates about shellfish, and mixed-cloth clothing, and all those other Bronze Age concerns. And he knows there’s no single person responsible for the shame his church lifts from these passages.
But there is one person who could single-handedly end it all in the Twin Cities: His Excellency, the Most Reverend Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis John C. Nienstedt.
“Nienstedt is just so rigid about these things,” Tegeder continues, growing animated. “But, you know — just let go of it. What are we trying to defend? Marriage? Has the Catholic Church protected marriage? I mean, [Nienstedt] has a priest who impregnated one of his staff members, broke up their marriage, and the guy’s still functioning! … Why don’t we take care of our own issues before we start imposing views onto other people who don’t have the same religious beliefs?”
(Excerpted from a 5 – page analysis at City Pages. For a more extensive selection of excerpts, with some annotation by Michael Bayly, who is one of the prominent Catholic opponents of the amendment featured in the report, see Bayly’s post at The Wild Reed )
- Minnesota Catholic Priest: Why Catholics Can Vote “No”!
- Gay marriage: Where is the ‘damage to Society, Archbishop?
- Children’s Charity Barnardo’s Chief Joins Gay Marriage Row
- Let’s Hear It For Catholic Leaders Who Defend Marriage Equality!
- Casey Michel on Archbishop Nienstedt’s “Crusade Against Gay Marriage”
- A Catholic Rationale for Opposing the Marriage Amendment
- In Minnesota, Catholics Sing Their Support for Marriage Equality
- A Catholic Statement of Support for Marriage Equality
- Palm Sunday at the Chancery
- People of Faith Are on Both Sides of the “Marriage Amendment”
- Tips on Speaking as a Catholic in Support of Marriage Equality
- PCV Publishes Archbishop Nienstedt’s Marriage Amendment Directives to Priests
- Quote of the Day – January 3, 2012
- A Head and Heart Response to the Catholic Hierarchy’s Opposition to Marriage Equality
- Progressive Perspectives on Archbishop Nienstedt’s Anti-Gay Activism
- Catholic Priest Tells Minnesotans Why They Can Vote Against Proposed Marriage Equality Ban (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Resigned and Retired Priests Strengthen Hope and Courage of Minnesota Catholics (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Catholic pastor applauded for shunning anti-gay marriage drive (seattlepi.com)